Earth Optimism: Conservation Success Stories
Celebrate Earth Optimism with some of the incredible conservation success stories at the Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute. The interactive features of this online tour introduce six amazing species and their stories of hope that will make you an Earth Optimist! Get started on the tour here.
Stories of Smithsonian Ocean Optimism
Journey around the globe with the National Museum of Natural History's Ocean Portal as they explore stories of ocean conservation success throughout the Smithsonian. This interactive map highlights over 40 stories, including ones about saving coral reefs, new sustainable fishing projects, and the discovery of new species.
Smithsonian Science Education Center
The Smithsonian Science Education Center transforms the teaching and learning of K-12 science throughout the nation and world. Learn more here. Some featured resources are:
- The Smithsonian Science for Global Goals community research guides use the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework to focus on sustainable actions that are student-defined and implemented.
- Professional Development on every Science and Technology Concepts™ to support higher-order teaching strategies to improve student learning.
- Free Curriculum
- Mosquito! How Can We Ensure Health For All From Mosquito-borne Diseases?
Curriculum is also available in Spanish.
- Food! How Do We Ensure Good Nutrition for All?
- Free Educational Videos
Native Knowledge 360°
The National Museum of the American Indian's Native Knowledge 360° provides educators and students with new perspectives on Native American history, cultures, and contemporary lives. Learn more about
- Native Knowledge 360° Essential Understandings about American Indians, a framework that offers new possibilities for creating student learning experiences.
- Native Knowledge 360° Lessons & Resources features educational resources, including some in Spanish.
- Professional Development opportunities for teachers.
Smithsonian Learning Lab
The Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access created the Smithsonian Learning Lab to inspire the discovery and creative use of its rich digital materials—more than a million images, recordings, and texts. By encouraging users to create and share personalized collections of Smithsonian assets and user-generated resources, the Learning Lab aspires to build a global community of learners who are passionate about adding to and bringing to light new knowledge, ideas, and insight. Start exploring the Smithsonian Learning Lab.
Smithsonian Exhibits created Conservation Comics to help inspire others by making a comic strip about successful conservation in your home, your school, your community, or anywhere on the planet. Or, maybe you have a creative idea to share about how to help the environment and wildlife. Maybe you want to express your concerns and hopes for the future. Whatever your message, share it by creating a fun comic! Visit Conservation Comics for instructions and templates.
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
The North American Orchid Center (NAOCC) at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center offers the Orchid-Gami project, where you can download, print, and create 3D models of native orchids while learning about their conservation and ecology. You can also download the Plankton Coloring Book.