President, The Piedmont Environmental Council
Christopher G. Miller has served as The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) President since 1996. Mr. Miller is responsible for overall management and strategic planning for PEC, including its land conservation program, habitat restoration, rural economics, energy policy, land use policy, smart growth and transportation policies. He is a founding member of the Coalition for Smarter Growth and a founding Co-Chair and Steering Committee member of the Choose Clean Water Coalition. Mr. Miller also serves on the boards of the Virginia League of Conservation Voters, the Virginia Conservation Network, the Chesapeake Conservation Partnership, and the Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership. He also is a member of the Land Trust Alliance Leadership Council.
Mr. Miller initially worked for PEC as coordinator of the successful campaign that challenged Disney's America development proposal. Prior to joining PEC, he was the Assistant Director for Federal Affairs at the Surface Transportation Policy Project, a national non-profit transportation organization based in Washington, D.C. Until 1993, he was an Associate with the law firm of Beveridge & Diamond, P. C. Mr. Miller also worked for the Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, the Environmental Law Institute, and the American Council on U.S./Soviet Relations.
Under Mr. Miller’s leadership, The Piedmont Environmental Council has been recognized for its best practice and performance in land use planning, land conservation, and historic preservation. It has been awarded the:
● 2002 Kodak American Greenways Award presented by the Eastman Kodak Company, The Conservation Fund and National Geographic Society
● John H. Chafee Trustees’ Award for Outstanding Achievement in Public Policy from the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 2011
● 2013 Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award
● Scenic Virginia Scenic Viewshed Preservation Award in 2007
● National Society of James Madison Family Descendants Madison Cup Award
● Governor’s Virginia Treasures Award for the Montpelier-Grelen Trail
In 2004, Mr. Miller received the Virginia Conservation Network's Blue Ridge Award for outstanding conservation leadership in the Piedmont. He also received, on behalf of PEC, the Quarter Century of Service Award from the Partners for Livable Communities.
He earned his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School and B.A. with honors in Environmental Studies from Williams College.
Chris Miller is married to Catherine Anthony and has two daughters, Caroline and Claire. In his spare time, Chris enjoys watching and coaching basketball.
To register as a student, use code EarthST.
* Please note, you must bring your Student ID to check-in.